Thursday, May 24, 2018

What a difference a year makes

Here we are, mid-May of 2018 and wow have things changed for me. This time last year I had just completed my first cycling time-trial and was getting ready for the first tri of the season. This year, all my races are off the books, other than a relay, and now I’m working out to not get fat, LOL. This is a really big change for me and there are a few more coming my way in the very near future. So, how did we get here in regards to my racing and training? Let’s discuss...


As some know, 2017 ended with a disappointing result at the Chicago Marathon. I finished with a decent time, but I was nowhere close to a Boston Marathon qualification and my body was a wreck! Toward the end of the race, I had issues in my hips, quads and calves. The pain became so bad it reduced me from walking to limping, to then considering taking a seat at mile 24 and calling a cab. After the race, it took a while to recover even with taking some time off from training.
stick a fork in me

All smiles mid-way












I decided to work with a new coach this year. Adam Otstot and I worked so well together and accomplished so much, but after 6 years I wanted a change of pace to shake things up. I do want to take a moment to thank Adam for everything he helped me achieve, as well as for his guidance and friendship. I spent some time talking with a few different coaches and I decided to work with a good friend, Peggy Neidig.

When I started training again in early 2018, things got off to a good start. I was improving quickly all around but I was in almost constant pain. I was going to Thompson Healthcare and Sports Medicine which was helping me stay on track, but the underlying issues were not getting better. Early in January, I developed an issue with my calf that caused us to shut down running for a week. After some rest, the calf felt good and things started to really come around. That said, as the results were positive, I was no longer having fun. I started to dread every single workout, looking for any excuse to move things around or skip a day. Only hitting the trails on
my mountain bike was bringing me any kind of happiness. Then in late February I pulled a muscle in my right calf during a track workout. I started with physical therapy right away, which lasted for a month. During this time I did not run at all.  I swam and rode the trainer a few times. During this time my hips just continued to worsen and nothing was helping the constant pain from my waist to my calves.


While all this is going on in my triathlon world, I had a few family members fall ill and were hospitalized. Also, I was informed that after over 18 years with the same company, I was going to be laid off at the end of July. To say my stress levels were through the roof would be an understatement, but thankfully an angel was always close by, my girlfriend Lori. She has been so supportive, understanding and absolutely amazing!  I am really not sure that I could of kept my spirits up without her.

The point came when it was time to make some decisions. Financially, I had to cut back all around. I needed to refocus, get my professional life in order, prepare for the possibility of no income for a while and start the search to find a new job. All else in my life had to come second. In this area, I had the help from some great friends that assisted in getting my resume together. Also, after posting an article on Facebook about what my company was doing, I had a few great leads starting to come my way. The light was starting to brighten at the end of that tunnel.

Training: Here I decided to make some of the biggest changes. The job situation was most likely going to force a change here.  I have been working from home full time since 2009 - my entire endurance sports career. Commuting to an office would be a new thing and that would force me to learn some new methods to get everything accomplished. My calf injury was going to keep me from racing IM 70.3 Chattanooga on May 20th, so I submitted the claim to get my entry fee back. Side note, always spend the money on the insurance, it is so worth it.


I decided to cut back on all training and continued to follow my doctor's recommendation regarding running. Slow and easy, taking my time working back into the mileage. Also I should mention, it was discovered that my right foot has what appears to be some degeneration that is reducing the flexion in the foot. This was a causing factor into the calf issues and it seems that there is not a lot to be done to correct the issue. My long distance running days could be numbered. I have continued to ride the bike when my hips feel well and mountain biking any chance I get. I have gotten lazy in the swimming department, plain and simple. Some of it comes down to me not being a morning person. The other reason is I can’t stand dealing with the Zumba and swim classes that take up most of the pool if I can’t get there by noon.

Slowly I continued to work my way back into running.  All was going well up until last week when both calves became super tight and painful. I decided at this point that I needed to back down even further and concentrate mostly on strength training and yoga. Also, I need to get over my morning issues and get back into swimming. Bottom line is that I need to give my body a break.

For the last five days, at least once per day, I have been practicing yoga. Also, completing a more tabata or HIIT interval routine using a TRX suspension system to strength train every other day, in this short amount of time, I am already seeing a difference and reduction in pain. My calves are finally not as sore but the hips are taking much longer.

The funny thing is, without the “pressure” of the next race and “having” to get my training in, I really am in a much better place. For so long, training and racing were my release from the crap of life - my therapy if you will. Now that my life has changed so much and I am much happier in my personal life, it would seem that I don’t need to rely on training and racing as much. Ironically, with my professional life going crappy, I still was not needing that kind of therapy. The fact is, I have someone amazing as Lori, a great group of friends, as well as a supportive family around me. At the moment, nothing else or other outlets are needed to help me find peace.

I can’t say this is the end of the road or chapter of this part of my life but it definitely is a detour. As planned races come up, I find that it doesn’t bother me at all that I am not toeing the line and getting ready to compete. I do miss the people and the comradery that comes with this sport and being around so many amazing athletes, but I am very much at peace with this decision.

Professionally, I have accepted a position with a new company. This new job will require me to commute over an hour a day each way;  another big change for me. I figure that once I settle into my routine, I can start to figure out how to work my training back into the mix. This way, some forced rest will be had and just might be what the doctor ordered.

Personally, my family members all are doing much better and I am so grateful for their recovery. Life always seems to have a way to come around. It may not be quick, but good times are there when you open your eyes to the positives, even in bad situations.
I really need to thank Coach Peggy, not only for the great strides that were made in such a short time but for all of her understanding, patience and friendship. She has been so supportive even when I decided to no longer train and I am sorry this season didn’t workout as we had hoped as well that I had to cut it short.

To the amazing companies who I am honored to be an ambassador for, Base Performance and Salming, I may not be doing much racing but I will still continue to do my best to represent you in the most positive light and highlight the great products you have to offer. Any race I can attend in which I can assist during the expo and/or race,  I will do my best to be there.

So what now? That’s a great question. There is still a lot to figure out, a lot of healing and recovery and new roads to explore. I am concentrating on getting back to the activities that will help support and strengthen my body while running, cycling and swimming. I am considering which avenues of professional development to take. Maybe get my Masters, maybe a professional designation, license or certification. I need to find that identity in which I am more than just a “tri guy”. I have learned that I can be fit and healthy, while still enjoying life. As this new chapter unfolds and when time allows, I plan to continue this blog on this new journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment