Thursday, October 1, 2015

International fun at Patriots

Since July 2013, I have not race a triathlon distance shorter than a half (70.3 miles). This year I jumped at the chance to race an International distance race (1500 Meter swim, 40K bike, and 10K run) three weeks prior to my final race of the season, Ironman 70.3 Augusta. This race is held in Williamsburg on a course that I train on weekly. I have spectated at the half event the last two years but this year the international distance was brought back and the timing worked out perfectly.
Leading up to this race after Challenge Pocono, I have had a pretty good training block. A functional power test on the bike, showed a 15 watt jump, my running has been returning to early season marathon form and my swimming has been on point. I was really excited going into this race and getting a chance to just let loose. I was also excited to have many friends racing alongside me or in the half distance race held at the same time.
Race morning was quite a new experience for me as I was really calm. I decided to not think about the "what if’s", worry if I am ready, look around and wonder if that guy is in my age group. For the first time I didn’t care about any of that, I was enjoying the environment and catching up with everyone.
chatting with Justin
As I got my warm-up run done and headed down to the swim start, I got to see my coach Adam Otstot start his wave for the half, Adam has won this race the last four years and we all knew he had a great shot to make it five. After Adam was off, I got on my Xterra Speedsuit and did a quick swim myself, then waited around for my wave to start.
I mention the half going first for a reason but I maybe getting ahead of myself. My wave was the second of the international distance to go, each wave was separated by 4 minutes which was pretty nice. I walked out to the start and made my way to the front, not because I thought I was faster but it is easier than fighting with a group from the sound of the gun.
This time it didn’t matter, the water was shallow, about waist deep and even though I swam from the start many people walked out to the first buoy. What was frustrating is while you are swimming, you realize the people walking are going just as fast. The difference is I am not using as much energy as they are. 
After the first buoy I caught onto someone's draft and was able to hold it for a bit, we bumped a few time and then separated, darn. Things were going well and I was feeling good until the next turn buoy, this one was into deeper water and the start of the long leg of the swim. Almost instantly the water became choppy and not only did I and a group of guys from my wave catch the group in front of us and had to fight through the pack, the fun of a triathlon swim.
It took about 100 yards or so to get a feel for the chop and find a rhythm, what sucked was every time I did find a rhythm I would run into someone or have to fight through another group.  As such, the next 5 to 600 yards were slow and frustrating. Once I reached the last turn buoy I was able to make a beeline for the swim exit. Now that I was out of the chop and the groups (for some reason they were all drifting to the left of the sighting buoys) I was able to pick up the pace. I hit the beach feeling good and looking forward to the bike.
Swim: 28:08, 12th overall
T1 was a blur and I was off on the bike.
The first quarter mile I used to settle down, I had two turns/bends to traverse and I stayed on the bull horns. As I came around the last bend for some reason I looked at a women I was passing and said out loud "game on", dropped into the aero position and well, went to light-speed, LOL!
It was literally like a switch was flipped and I was dialed in and cranking out the watts. I spent most of the 23 plus miles yelling "on your left", I was passing people like crazy and didn't even realize it when I passed people I knew. I heard my name a few times and shouts of encouragement but all I remember seeing was the road in front of me.
This course was an out and back, mixed with the half distance racers who would go straight when I would turn-around. This gave me the advantage of seeing who was ahead of me on the way back. It wasn't until mile 10 that I saw the first place guy, I really thought I missed people while I was zoned out but I did start counting people that passed by. At the turn-around I was (by my count) in the 10th place, this sparked a fire causing my watts and speed to jumped up.
By the time I was rolling back to transition I had caught four riders and now (again by my count) was in 6th place. This ride by far was one of my best ever, so I apologize if I come across as bragging but I have worked really hard at this discipline and to see the payoff is extremely exciting.
Bike: 57:14 2nd overall
As with T1, T2 is a bit of blur except for the fact that my area of transition was on an incline and trying to put socks on was a bit of an adventure. Finally completing that task, I head for the ran out banner with a bit of a slow but respectable 1:28 T2.
The run has been my nemesis, I have tendency to push the bike to hard and not leave enough in the tank to run to my capability.  As I started, I realized quickly that the pace suggested by my coach was not going to happen, well at least not right away. I was holding about 7:20 -7:25 minute mile pace when the plan was to go sub 7's. The upside was I was alone.
By mile 2, I started to hear footsteps and saw there was a guy catching up to me. Shortly after making a turn onto a tree covered trail (this course was mostly shaded and on gravel, which was awesome). I could hear him behind me but he was not getting any closer. I was still holding that pace I set out of transition at and was feeling good. I thought, if he catches me, he does, but I felt it was too early to push the pace and by mile 4 he passed me. I tried not to think about it and the fact he was not in my age group helped, so I kept on working. By mile 5, I caught back up to him and shortly after was able to gain some distance. Then a half mile later some young pup, LOL went flying by and I realized I would have to settle for 7th. Right like 7th overall is settling.
The upside of him passing me is it spurred me to pick up the pace and went sub 7 for the remainder of the run. Turning towards the finish line I was feeling amazing. After crossing the finish line my Garmin showed a time of 2:15 and change, if that was even close to the official time I just set a big personal record.
Run: 46:00, 11th overall
Overall, 2:15:48, 6th overall, 1st Masters and about a 6 minute personal record.
Not only was this my first triathlon podium in two years, it was my first Masters win. For context, Masters is everyone 40 and over, the top three overall are pulled out then the top three masters finishers and then the age groups are settled. To add to the brag fest, I also set a personal record for this distance on the bike by five minutes plus.  This was also a big day for the Snapple tri club and Otstot's Hotshots who all either reached the podium, set personal records or tackled a new distance and crushed it. Congratulations everyone!
Masters awards

The Hotshots talking with the coach after his big win!
This all doesn't happen without the great people and groups that support me. Thank you to my coach Adam Otstos (who by the way won the half distance race for the 5th straight year), to Primal Sports Mud, whose product helps me recover from hard workouts to tackle whatever Adam has planned for me the next day. Snapple Triathlon club and their amazing sponsors  Osmo Nutrition, Clif bar, Rudy Project, Xterra wetsuits, Louis Garneau and SweatVac.  I would also like to thank Point2 Running Company and Bike Beat of Newport News who always help with whatever it is I need to keep training and racing. Lastly, this doesn't happen without the support of my family, thank you!

Up next is Ironman Augusta 70.3 in late September and then a well earned rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment